- All NOBL rims feature an asymmetrical profile. NOBL Wheels has designed, engineered and owns all of its molds. The asymmetrical design, and the holes for the nipples are drilled in the center of that profile where the nipple bed is at it’s thickest. The end result is nipple holes that are offset from the rims center line. This is a custom made mold, we didn’t just drill the holes offset on someone elses design. They were designed with a specific offset in mind from square one.
- On average our rims improve total radial tension by 10%, and improves the low tension side of the wheel by 25%. This may not sound like a huge difference to some, but it has many advantages and it is a significant improvement given the context.
- Lower tension spokes under approximately 75 kg/f on the low tension side of the wheel can loosen off much easier than higher tension spokes. Although spoke tension should be quite even all the way around, the reality is that wheel builders also have to worry about roundness and wheel dish. This means that certain spokes within the wheel could be different from the others on the same side of the wheel, and this tends to worsen over the life of the wheel.
- Having more even spoke tension from left to right will create a more stable and reliable wheel with higher net spoke tension. You can also achieve more stiffness with an asymmetrical rim if desired.
- You will have a greater operating range of spoke tension because the low tension side won’t be so dramatically different from the high tension side. For instance, with some hubs you will have to take the high tension side of the wheel towards the high end of the tension spectrum simply because the low tension side is quite low. Some wheel builders would even make the wheel out of dish in order to get the low tension spokes more reasonable.
- With NOBL rims, you can often use one average spoke length to build your wheels due to the asymmetrical design.
- The same NOBL rim will work as a front rim or as a rear rim. The valve decal points to the disc side depending on if you are using it on the front or the rear.
- NOBL carbon rims offer many widths. Our widest 38mm rim increases the base width of the tire when it is mounted to the rim. The change to wider rims allows the rider to achieve significantly more air volume and change the profiles of each tire a rider may have used in past.
- Tire pressure on wider rims with the increased volume will feel much stiffer at the same pressure you may have been riding before. The benefits to adding volume is being able to run lower pressure. The new width of the tire and the increased tire contact patch, means more traction and increased bump absorption by the tire.
- The tricky part is that wider rims make your tire look larger compared to being mounted on a standard narrow rim. However, it does not effectively change the outside width of a tire if you were to measure it! We have measured the same tires on all of our rims and it is less than 1mm difference measuring outside knob to outside knob, even on our narrowest TR28.
- If you have good tire clearance with your current tire setup and switch to a NOBL Wheels wide rim, you should not have any clearance issues.
- Wide rims will feel more stable. In corners, the wider base and stiffer feel of the Carbon Fiber rim, along with the added vertical sidewall of the tire will leave the rider feeling more planted and less likely to be skipping around through the turns.
- Clincher style “hooks” are only useful at very high pressures. Hookless rims use a bead seat to center the tire around the rim, and modern tubeless ready tires are made with reasonable tolerances.
- It is a lighter design because you can make a narrower outside width for any given internal width.
- Carbon Fiber does not like to bend at a tight radius, so this makes forming a clincher rim challenging. Most clincher style Carbon rims are machined out after the moulding process.
- Hookless rims must have a softer radius in this area so the Carbon Fiber can flow and form to mold resulting in a stronger structure.
- Hookless rims are easier to inspect for imperfections during the manufacturing process, so quality control is much improved.
- Hookless rims have a much thicker wall construction. This greatly increases impact resistance in comparison.
BEAD SEAT BUMP
- NOBL rims have a small raised section on the bead seat, just outside of the center channel. When the tire is installed, it sits inside the rims center channel at the lowest point. As you add air the tire flows outwards and upwards over the bead seat bump at about 30 psi.
- The bump creates a slight u-shape where the tire bead is in it’s final position which creates a more reliable tubeless system that is incredibly hard to burp.
- If you get a flat tire, the bead seat bump will make it a lot harder for the tire to creep back into the center channel. This will allow you to come to a rolling stop without having the tire move out of position as easily and risk damaging your rim. If you have to put a tube in to fix a flat, you will have to push hard on the tire bead to break the seal. Push the tire bead into the center channel all the way around before attempting to use a plastic tire lever(s) to remove the tire.
- NOBL rims are deeper and wider than most rims, so they are relatively stiff. Some rims on the market are very deep but lack a wide profile so they can ride somewhat harsh. Due to our width, the air volume is high and the air pressure is lower, so you get more traction and small bump compliance on the trails.
- The lateral stiffness takes some getting used to, but soon enough you’ll be cornering more aggressively and will have more confidence in rough terrain. Your wheels will track better, and you will rethink your line choices in technical climbs and descents because of the performance gains.
- NOBL Wheels has designed, engineered and owns all of its Carbon fiber rim molds. NOBL has a proprietary Carbon Fiber layup process that has been developed to add ride and feel characteristics we feel is ideal for todays riders. No Carbon Fiber rim manufacture is like another, unless you are buying an “open moulded” or “one size fits all” product.
- The layup process is where the rubber hits the road. Carbon Fiber can be engineered to do many things. Carbon Fiber does not always have to be lighter and stiffer. We engineer our layup to offer different weaves of Carbon Fiber to increase strength, and be much stiffer than aluminum rims, but also have a certain amount of give to decrease rigidity in the ride feel.
- Every piece of our prepreg Torya T700 Carbon Fiber is specifically cut to fit into our layup process so that it behaves and performs the way we want the end product to be.
- The design of a prepreg is to even out the resin in the fiber before the manufacturing process. This is done so that you don’t end up with resin poor areas, and don’t have to solely rely on vacuum bagging to remove excess resin.
- The nipple bed area is made with a unique process that allows layers to be built up nice and thick, but at the same time remain even and without voids.
- After the layups are completed, an airbag is inflated inside the rim and the mold is heated to a specific and constant temperature. The heat is what cures the resin and makes the carbon fiber stiff. The airbag is inflated to apply constant pressure and ensures the resin flows evenly through the carbon fiber as it cures.
- When the rim is cured, the mold is cooled down and opened up. A small hole is made to remove the airbag. This hole is later enlarged and becomes one of the spoke holes.
- The rim holes are drilled and then there is a lot of hand finishing required. Quality control is performed at this point. Then the rim is sprayed with a matte finish and once cured, the decals are applied. We apply the decals in the final stage so that they can be removed and replaced as needed.
- The rims are weighed and each weight is put on a sticker on the center channel (can be removed by the consumer). The serial number with the production batch number is also put on the center channel of the rim. Each rim is put into its own soft foam package, and then 2 rims go in one smaller box. The small boxes are packaged in a much larger box for shipping to distribution points.